Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Thrill of the game

Wow, What an amazing finish! I know I am pretty late putting this up, but I really don't care. I had such an amazing weekend. I went out of town to pretty large, unfamiliar city. I hope that some of you caught the game on Sunday. It really came down to the last second. I can not remember a more exciting finish. All I can think of is seeing that ball being launched into the air. At first, I remember thinking that the ball looked to be off. As it arced more, I began to regret ever doubting such a gifted player. Ever.

As the ball made contact, the clock seemed to freeze for a few microseconds. The ball just sort of perched precariously on the edge. As time returned to normal speed, the events unfolded so rapidly that it was hard to be sure of the outcome. Did it count?

It took the replay for me to be sure of what I had just witnessed, and oh what a glorious play. It had all that is best about sports; talent and ability, hard work, perseverance, last second heroics and an underdog pulling out a win.

I am not sure about putting this picture up, but I am anyway. It is an AP Photo/Gerry Broome photo, to give credit where credit is due. Scroll down for one of the most exciting last second finishes in years.....
















What? What game did you think I was talking about? The super bowl was a great game, but I had no interest in the Giant's winning the game. The only thing I cared about them winning was the result. On the other hand, fan's of the wolfpack know exactly of what I speak. When I saw that big left hand come flying through the air and slam the ball, I went crazy. SPP thought that I was going to upset the neighbors with my exuberance. I will say that B!Z, Zon and I had an idea for a picture to show our feelings about the "big" game. A nice high resolution shot of that last sack on Brady. It would say something along the lines of Perfect Epic Fail. A similar idea has already been done, so the rush to do our's has subsided. When Zon brought this to my attention this evening, it seemed that adding anything would be senseless. The image speaks for itself. Although, sometimes not saying anything is just the best policy.

An update about No More Heroes. I was able to hold off on buying a copy for about 24 hours longer than I thought, so maybe there is hope for me after all. It is a great game. I just wanted to start off by saying that fact. I also want to say that it is not for everyone. Even though Zon is a big third party Wii developer supporter, he is not interested. I have no compunctions about slicing and dicing my way through hordes of enemies. I will say that there is a bit of blood, but it is very much in the anime style of blood. Gushing over the top to say the least, but not gory to me at all. The grunts are cut down Kill Bill style (can anyone say "Shogun Assassin"?), but the atmosphere of the entire game is one of dark humor very suited to an over the top style of combat. The Wii remote is used to activate "death blows" that are the agents that deliver the previously mentioned blood, other than that I have seen nominal amounts of blood in the gameplay. The cut scenes between ranked fights is another matter, but the story being told is pretty funny. It seems to offset the violence by being at times witty, then over the top. The weak spots come mainly in the small variety. The "over-world", if you want to call it that, Santa Destroy is pretty interesting in its overall design. The fault is in it's implementation. At times, it seems to need some more time spent in house to get the edges tightened and a few other minor details in line. I felt that I could have been seeing True Crimes for the NGC when I was cruising around a comparatively small area. I have been driving around the city and passed a pedestrian by at least a foot. For some reason, the characters throw themselves to the ground. Just an example of the bugs, but I feel that this is a game that will really grow into it's potential in it's sequels. I think I will put up something about NMH after I finish the game, but who knows when that will happen.

One last thing about a little device that really helped me in the unfamiliar city I mentioned at the beginning. I used a Tomtom and I will say that it necessitated that I go out and procure one immediately. After I plugged in the address the device took me directly to my destination, even after several missed turns and pit stops. The route it used was new even to the person that lived there. All this in the biggest city in the state at rush hour on Friday. The only real traffic I saw was on the interstate or a major highway and only for a few minutes total. I could make a wrong turn or turn off for a break and it would recalculate a new route. In the end, it got me to my destination in less time, frustration and worry than I could have imagined. I would highly recommended one to anyone who travels or works in a field that has you going to unfamilar places and of course those that get lost often. ;-)

No comments: